Ways you can raise money
Five Hundred Dollars?! How can I raise that much money?! Raising your $500 is actually really easy, and there are several ways to do it! Probably the most common way is to ask your friends and family to make donations.
Online Giving Page
How to access your online giving page:
- Go to www.dancemarathon.org.
- Click on Log-in section on the top right hand corner of the screen.
- A new page will appear prompting you to enter your user name and password. In the user name section type in your hawk ID. In the password section type in your hawk ID’s password. (If you ever need to change your hawk ID’s password your password to the online giving pages will change with your hawk ID’s password so they should always be the same as what you use to log in to Hawk Mail and ICON.)
- Click the log-in button.
- A new page will appear that will have an online giving link that should start with http://osl.iowa.uiowa.edu/dancemarathon/donate. There will be numbers at the end of this URL.
- Click on the URL (This is the URL you can give to potential donors to ask them to donate to your page).
- Your online giving page will appear.
Canister Solicitation is one of the most profitable forms of fundraising for The University of Iowa Dance Marathon. There are three types of canning: neighborhood, downtown, and football. You should ask your morale captain about specific canning dates coming up. Remember that you must sign up in advance for each canning event, and a morale captain or another leadership member will organize these drives and go with you. Click here to sign up for neighborhood/downtown canning!
Letter Writing Campaign
One of the most effective, easiest, and most traditional ways to raise money is to send personal letters or postcards. These letters should describe what Dance Marathon is, explain your involvement and simply ask for donations. You can do this all straight from the comfort of your home!
Another easy way to raise money is to send emails out to your contact list. You can check out a couple example templates here.
How does a fundraising email campaign work? Here is a breakdown of how you can master the email fundraising strategy!
- Download a template (links above)
- Insert it into a new email from your personal email account
- Use the extra space in each template to customize to your donors why you are involved in Dance Marathon, your fundraising goals and your experience at the University of Iowa
- Send it to your donors and make money FTK!
Many businesses will match the charitable contributions of their employees. For example, if you have a friend who works at John Deere, and your friend donates to Dance Marathon, John Deere will also donate to Dance Marathon. Be sure to ask each of your donors if their employer has a matching gift program, and if UI Dance Marathon qualifies for this program.
Your donor can find out if their company matches donations at this website: http://www.uifoundation.org/ways/matching/ Then, they can obtain the appropriate form from their employer and fill out their portion before giving it to you. Some companies may also have online matching gift request submissions.
Things to know about matching gifts:
On a matching gift form, the donor should indicate that the donation was made to:
University of Iowa Foundation (Dance Marathon)
1 West Park Road
Iowa City, IA 52242
Cash donations cannot be matched
Checks MUST be made out to University of Iowa Foundation (Dance Marathon)
Do not fill out any portion of your donor’s matching gift form
In order to receive credit for the matching gift, you MUST submit the matching gift form as outlined below:
How to submit a matching gift form:
If a donor gives you a matching gift form on paper and a physical check donation.
Turn both the check AND the matching gift form into the IMU Business Office (where normal donation checks are dropped off)
Or turn both the check AND the matching gift form in at Matching Gift table at any dancer meeting.
If a donor gives you a matching gift form on paper, but donated to you online.
Turn the matching gift form AND a printed email receipt of donation (donor will have received a receipt email for their donation) to the IMU Business Office. (where normal donation checks are dropped off)
Turn the matching gift form AND a printed email receipt of donation (donor will have received a receipt email for their donation) in at Matching Gift table at any dancer meeting.
If a donor emails you a matching gift form, please email it AND a copy of the email receipt of donation (from UIDM) they received after donating online to email@example.com.
If a donor’s company has an online submission process, please email acknowledgement of their submission (email confirmation, screenshot, etc) AND a copy of the email receipt of donation (from UIDM) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions please email Ally Heffernan at email@example.com
Community days are a great way to raise money for Dance Marathon and promote the organization to local businesses and community members. With a little planning, it is easy to set up a community day in your hometown! Click here, to find out more information.
Note: Please refrain from holding community days in the Iowa City/Coralville area